10.23.2006

Freshops Tastival and the flavor of beer

Felecia and I went to the Freshops Tastival at the NW Lucky Lab last week where 16 or so beers of seasonal Northwest bounty were available on tap. I think it's one the better beer festivals I've been to, There were hardly any lines, people were kind, and one got the feeling of sampling unique beers hardlyconceived of by the general beer-drinking public. It made me feel rich in local culture.

And though drinking at the Lab's never the same without our buds, Jen & Patrick, I say: "The beers were great."

Following the Great American Beer Fest in Denver, there's been an ongoing argument over at Beervana (a quality beer blog) about the quality of Oregon beers that started with their perceived lack of balance to the tongue of a particular comment-writer. As a man of humble pedigree there's not a lot I can say on the subject except that judging beer shouldn't be like judging a dog show. The beers I tried at the Freshops Tastival were bold, experimental, new, fresh, and local. Those are the qualities that mean something.

...As opposed to something completely meaningless like...

I saw this news article today about Miller and Bud producing flavored, seasonal beers. I didn't realize that regular beers were not flavored. This is clearly a breakthrough. Here are some choice quotes...
"Consumers have a broader drinker's set today and are looking for different options and different products," McGauley said. "We know they're going to be looking around and we're going to provide beers and products that really satisfy those needs.... According to Mintel Research, the top selling flavor last year was regular, but second was pumpkin, which brewers such as Coors Brewing Co.'s popular Blue Moon label roll out in the fall harvest season. Rounding out the top five? Honey, vanilla and nut, respectively.
Good night.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Alworth said...

How did I miss that? Well, as consolation, I have a Deschutes Fresh Hop in the fridge.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Bridger said...

That's pretty good consulation, the Deschutes was definitly one of my favorites.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Stonch said...

Hi there, nice blog. I am writing one too, from a Londoner's perspective - Stonch's Beer Blog - check it out. Cheers!

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you're growing up as a teenager, there are a number of things that you look forward to; getting your drivers license,

graduating from high school, going to your senior prom, having your first date and having your first beer. The problem

with this last one is that the drinking age and the thing you want make it something that you just can't have yet. And

still, you want it and will go to any lengths to get it.

Underage beer drinking is certainly no secret and to try to sweep it under the carpet isn't going to make it go away. But

the most odd thing about underage drinking when it comes to beer is that even after kids sneak their first beer, they

still want to have another one. If you're wondering why that sounds so strange then you need to think back to when YOU

had your first beer. It was pretty nasty tasting. Let's be honest, beer is bitter and is an acquired taste. Very few

people, if any at all, enjoyed their first beer. Many even get sick after it because of the taste or the fact that

they're not used to the alcohol yet.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Bridger said...

Alright, I've always liked beer. Maybe a genetic defect made it flow from my mother's tit, or maybe it just tastes good. I don't know anyone who's gotten sick from a first beer. I think you have beer confused with cigarettes; that shit will make one sick, but it really has nothing to do with beer.

Maybe you should write your own blog for these esoteric, nonsensical wanderings.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fun!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

I've always liked the taste of good beer. That's the key: taste...and not drinking for effect only, like the Miller and A-B swillers do.
"Make Root Beer" obviously has some strange axe to grind.

I have to get more vacation time, so I can attend the Fresh Hop festival, next year.

Happy brewing,
Bad Ben

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more - not with the post that precedes this (though an investment property in Costa Rica has been on my 'To Do' list) but with your sentiments on beer comment and review. Beer reviews cannot convey the 'occasion' and the other elements like food matching and the friends and the timing of the beer experience.

In Australia we just don't get enough good beer festivals, so appreciate the wealth of drinking choice that you enjoy and raise a glass - or four - to us here Down Under the next time you are 'festivalling'!

Cheers,
Pete at Beer Blokes

3:08 PM  
Blogger Sorin said...

Hi Bridger

my name is Sorin Mihail and I live in Edmonton, Canada. I am glad I found your blog as I am a huge beer fan, working in a liquor store here in Edmonton and going to school meanwhile (taking tv production).

Anyhow, trying to combine my two passions, I have created a short clip - a funny TV commercial for a beer that is distributed locally. I am not paid by this guys - we just wanted o have fun for a a school project!

If you think you like it, feel free to post it on your blog as maybe a topic subject. The embeded code is below. The good thing is that you might even get some viewers for your blog (if you click on the "on your blog here" link underneath the movie screen and follow instructions).

Let me know if you like it and feel free to add me on your subscribers list! On the other hand, if you think that the topic of my message is not worth for you, I apologize.

The link for my clip is : http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1140761/hot_girls_rejected/


Thanks a lot and I am looking forward to your message,
Sorin

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man!
Great blog! I gotta say - I'm right there with you for the love of beer.

I have a story idea for your blog, not sure if you'd be interested. I saw that you are also interested in sustainable agriculture - and I've recently been introduced to La Cense Grass Fed Beef http://www.lacensebeef.com

They have the best tasting grass fed beef I've ever had, and I only order from them. They have a promotion running right now at http://www.grassfedparty.com to educate the public about why grass fed beef is a healthier choice, why it's better for the cows, etc. They have started a "Political Party for Change" with Grass Fed Beef.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fnqVAO6B3A

I'm the social media contact for La Cense, and I'm happy to provide you with whatever information/samples/etc you'd need if you think this is something you'd like to write about.

I hope to hear from you soon, and I hope you had a great weekend.

Best,
Andrew DiPalma
adipalma@thebaddishgroup.com

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home