4.20.2006

Deschutes Inversion IPA

Drinking With Darren is a great public access show in Portland where the hero goes to breweries and beer festivals, talks to the brewers and samples the beer. Drinking vicariously is nothing like the real thing, but it's better than watching Oprah. A few months ago Darren went to the Deschutes Brewery in Bend. I like Deschutes but the marketing guy they stuck on Darren was a giant douche. He was very intent on selling his beer, which made me disinclined to ever buy it again. He was glaringly different from the regular easy-going blokes he usually hangs out with who love beer in a self-assured, slightly perma-drunk, fashion instead of shamelessly humping Darren's leg. I got over it and tried Deschutes' new IPA, Inversion, today. This shit is something like $8.29 at Freddies but in a moment of weakness I indulged myself anyway. And the verdict is that its yummy. I know Deschutes has an Oregon landscape beer naming theme going with Black Butte, Cinder Cone, Mirror Pond and whatnot, but if I were them I'd call it Grassyass IPA because it smells like a haystack. And now you know why I'm not their marketing guy. I think people will like this beer a lot. Double hopped IPAs are trendy right now, and for good reason. They should come in hip-for-portland bundles with a man purse and belly shirt. I'm not puttin down, but just noting the obvious. Cheers for now, I have some mohawk maintinence to take care of.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Actually $8.29 is pretty fair. One thing most people don't realize is that the wholesale cost for a case of Deschutes (and most other mircos) runs in the neighborhood of $25. This means when you see them selling it for $5.99-6.99 a six pack they're basically breaking even, unless it's on sale from the distributor, in which case they make $1-2 per case. Grocery stores love to run beer as "loss-leader" product because they know people will buy other stuff like pizza and chips that they can make fat margins on. This really makes it hard on stores like us because it gives people a false sense of what the beer really costs and they freak out that we charge $8.50/6pack for something they can get at Freddy's for $5.99

11:26 AM  
Blogger Bridger said...

I'd gladly pay $8.50 reguarly for six fine beers if a dollar weren't so scarce. And I actually feel a little guilty for buying beer at Freds at all, but it's right between my small westside domicile and the Max station. I usually go for the sale micro and hope that next week the one I really want is marked down. It's silly when you think of what a pint costs at the bar but fugality often strikes after a long shitty day at work earning the beer money. I think my Portland friends know we'd be better off buying all our beer at Belmont Station.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I know how you feel about scarce dollars, and ~gasp~ I also buy beer at Freddy's sometimes. I don't like to do it, but their sale prices are often lower than my employee discount at Belmont Station. Also, I respect the fact that you shop in your neighborhood. As much as we need/love having business, the environmentalist in me thanks you for shopping close to your home and not burning fossil fuels to go buy beer. That being said, be sure to visit the store next time your east of the river!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drinking with Daren is the greatest show ever!! I do, however, have to disagree with your dislike of Larry Sidor at Deschutes Brewing. Larry is a long-time old school brewer from the Lucky Lager days. After Lucky went the way of the buffalo, Larry went on to Olympia Brewing. He also spent some time in Japan before plying his trade at Deschutes. I guarantee he loves fine ales and is honored to be Deschutes BM. The proof is in the pudding...or bottle, I guess. Just check out that Inversion!!
To top of my response, let me give you the inside scoop: Deschutes treated Daren and crew like kings. We had the finest hotel in town and a very pleasant time sampling all of Deschutes wonderful beers with Larry. I should know, I'm not just the Producer & Director for Drinking with Daren, but I'm also a fan!! Now, if you wanna see some leg-humpin', you should try shooting at Rogue's Flanders St. Pub; talk about being forced to mark out for a brewery. We had to walk away...

Matt.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Bridger said...

Thanks for the inside view. I may have had him all wrong when I called him a duesche, I was drinking. But I'm glad they treated you well, and Larry sounds pretty cool.
It's interesting the Pearl Rogue were sorry pushers - thier tasting room in Newport is one of the most chill places I ever had a beer, but I didn't have a video camera.
I'm watching the Fred Eckhardt episode tonight after I plug in my old TV that's behind the couch.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Julian Luby said...

I met Darren yesterday at the brewfest...cool guy...trying to find his contact info now...

2:31 PM  
Blogger Bridger said...

check Myspace.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home