4.15.2006

The Rose and Raindrop

Why does my alcohol addled brain insist on replaying the most irritating part of the most obnoxious song like a merry-go-round to infinity during the morning withdrawal? I think it's its self imposed punishment for what I've done to it. It pleads "Start drinking again and I'll turn off this awful music."

Last night we went to The Rose and Raindrop on SE Grand with Jen and Patrick for food and beer. I tried Mia and Pia's Irrigator Dopplebock. It was really dark. I thought they had brought me the wrong beer (the Horror) because it looked like Patrick's stout. But held to the light its a dark red. I googled Mia today and found that Mia and Pia's is a Brew Pub/pizzeria in Klatmath Falls, OR. Their website reports the ABV of Irrigator at 8.0, which was a good start to my nightly headache acquisition procedure. After irrigating the Irrigator I had Greg from Hair of the Dog. The Hair of the Dog guys are some hard-core muthas. Greg had a flavor that I couldn't put my finger on, I thought it was a really mellow fruit combination. I discovered on Beer Advocate that they made it specifically for a Portland restaurant, Higgins, that uses all seasonal ingredients. Greg is named after the owner, Greg Higgins. That's great, but the best part is that Greg is made with winter squash, which makes it the only vegetable I ate yesterday, besides the sauerkraut on my Reuben. If your unframilier with squash, its not a game for old people, but a big fleshy, gourd-lookin thing that most people try not to eat if they can help it. In retrospect, I can see how it owed some of its unique flavor to the squash, but I could never have guessed its secret. I'll have to review the Reinheitsgebot purity law to see if squash is an acceptable ingredient.

Felecia had an superhopped IPA called a Leapfrog, or something like that. It was served in a 10 OZ glass and coated my tongue with hops. After the Irrigator I couldn't remember which beer was mine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wiki says that yeast wasn't originally part of the law because those dumb krouts didn't know about micro-organisms. Ha ha, no wonder they lost the war.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home